The families we work with have a wide range of needs beyond housing. You can help families directly by donating clothing, household items, and gift cards.
Families who recently struggled with homelessness often have little or no money left over after paying for rent and food. Items that we consider basic – household items, cleaning supplies, clothing – can often seem like unaffordable luxuries.
Your in-kind donation to FamilyAid Boston will be given directly to a homeless or recently homeless family.
If you would like to donate items, please contact Laura Irwin at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617.542-7286 x258.
Because of limited storage space, we must limit donations to two bags or boxes. If you wish to donate a larger number of items, please contact us to determine if we can accommodate your donation.
Unfortunately, we do not have the resources to pick up donated items. All donations must be dropped off at our office.
We are always happy to work with offices, volunteer organizations, or other groups to coordinate large in-kind drives. If you would like to coordinate a drive for your office, club, or place of residence, please contact Laura Irwin at email@example.com or 617-542-7286 x258.
Below is a list of donations that we generally accept throughout the year: However, please contact our office prior to dropping off your donation
to ensure that we are able to accept your items, as we have limited storage space at our agency.
- Household Items: New or like-new kitchen, bath, and other household items. Sheets, towels, and other linens must be new and unused.
- Clothing and Shoes: New or like-new, contemporary, laundered, seasonally appropriate women’s, men’s, and children’s clothing. We particularly need clothing for teenagers. We do not accept undergarments, undershirts, socks, hats, or exercise clothes. Jewelry and purses also accepted.
- Cleaning supplies: New, unopened household cleaners, mops, and sponges
- Personal care items: New, unopened personal care items such as soap, shampoo, and toilet paper, feminine hygiene products, especially sanitary napkins and pads.
- Children’s items: New or like-new toys and books; new, unopened boxes of diapers, wipes, formula and other baby supplies. Unfortunately, we cannot accept any stuffed/soft toys.
- Gift cards: Gift/cash cards can help our families purchase the basic necessities for their children and their homes.
Again, please note we request that donations be new or like new and laundered prior to drop-off, we do not have access to cleaning facilities. Your donations are deeply appreciated and have the power to make an impact on the lives of our clients. We believe every family deserves the dignity of clean respectable clothing and thank you for helping us provide this!